flickr user lobo235
It’s been crazy around here! Naveen is chomping on Alinean fare as I type and I spent all weekend trying to make a crappy Chinese PID controller work — it didn’t . So in lieu of a post of our own, here are some tweets, posts, and news articles that caught our eye(s) this past week.
flickr user betsyweber
- Serious Eats‘ new column Modernist Eats takes a crack at making seasonal candies with Isomalt, a sugar substitute
- Matt Kayahara talks about how awesome an idea it is to keep a heat gun in the kitchen and then demos a killer application. We agree!
- Kamikaze Cookery returns with a timely post about barbecue science.
- Martin at Khymos does his usual awesome job with a post about beer and flavor extraction.
- Lifehacker outdid themselves this week – here are post about: microwaving pizza | crock pot soup | refrigerator pickles | chopping tomatoes without mess |
Health and Nutrition
- Nick Kristoff asks, is exercise addiction is the same thing as sugar addiction?
- In an experiment on rats, European researchers have proved that eating strawberries reduces the harm that alcohol can cause to the stomach mucous membrane. Published in the open access journal Plos One, the study may contribute to improving the treatment of stomach ulcers.
- Too Many Vegetables? How To Prevent Gas and Digestive Problems Caused By Healthy Eating from Summer Tomato
- Study shows stevia-derived rebiana has greater potency when cold
The Really Geeky Stuff
Odds and Ends
- Kenji shows us how obsessed he is about organizing his pantry.
- pork jowls. ‘nough said.
- Ideas in Food shouts out the Harvard Food Science Lectures. Look out for an upcoming post from Naveen on the topic.
- Some thoughts on Next Restaurant’s “Childhood” Menu
- Our friend Amanda applies some clever management hackery to cooking for large groups.
- Modernist inspiration from molecularrecipes.com